Sponsor us here to support The Sheffield Institute Foundation to help fund a cure for Dementia, Motor Neurone & Parkinson's Disease.

Thursday 19 August 2010

Cycle Thoughts

When I told a friend recently about the cycle ride and the distance, he very helpfully said 'just remember the last 249 miles are the hardest!' I know there will come a point on the trip when I will ask myself 'why am I doing this?' and I know it will pass as I reach the brow of the hill and look at the landscape cascading away. Some miles will be harder than others. I've noticed in my training that the first twenty minutes are tough as my body warms up. I'm cycling short distances between the training days and this is helping just getting used to being on the bike every day again. On a nostalgic note, I remember as a child that going slowly was never an option. Round every corner was an adventure. Why walk when I could run? Cycling with my hands off the handlebars down hill was one of my favourite things to do. The challenge of balancing and relaxing into the wind was a real buzz. Of course, as I have matured, I appreciate the potential hazards of this a little more. It was just as well my mother never saw me do it. She would have had kittens. Part of undertaking this cycle challenge is the psychological one. Remembering why I'm doing it helps; acts as a motivator. I'm doing it to raise funds for research into MND and Alzheimers and I'm doing it because I like a challenge and Sue offered me the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment