Sponsor us here to support The Sheffield Institute Foundation to help fund a cure for Dementia, Motor Neurone & Parkinson's Disease.

Monday 23 August 2010

I got lost!

Saturday 20th August. My first puncture on a training ride. I had cycled from Bristol to just outside Weston-s-mare down the A370. I turned left onto the A371 towards Cheddar. As I passed through Winchcombe there was a suspicious softness about my tyre. Never a good feeling. Luckily, one of the things I have learned is how to mend punctures. Along with French and TouchTyping, it's probably the most useful skill to have. I stopped and mendedthe puncture, checking the tyre and finding a very sharp piece of metal had got stuck in it. This stop was serendipitous because a woman passing by told me about the Strawberry Line which is a cycle track from Winchcombe to Cheddar. Puncture mended off I headed. It included a very scary tunnel - Dark and quite disorientating. Made it to Cheddar where I ate my couscous lunch. I have discovered the trick with good, cold couscous is chutney. Mix in about a half jar of good chutney along with the other ingredients and it is simply delicious. Anyway, after I'd eaten, I found myself in need of a little digestion time. Next thing I knew I was fast asleep. Sorry Sue, I forgot to tell you I can pretty much fall asleep anywhere. The nap did me the world of good and was excellent preparation for the cycle up out of Cheddar Gorge which is quite tough. I'm not sure what happened next but I ended up going down this amazing hill, really steep, with hands on the handlebars. By then I was in the Chew Valley which is beautiful with the lake. All in all a good ride. I think it must have been about 60 miles in the end due to me getting lost in places. The final 4 miles I was in a thunderstorm where the heavens opened and rain came down in bucketfuls. Yes. I was soaked through to the bone! Much to the amusement of some of the car drivers who didn't hide their smirks.

No comments:

Post a Comment